Monday, August 16, 2010

and what I did about it

Okay, here is what I did. If you think I am a dreadful mother you may be right. Please let me know and also let me know what time you will pick the kids up for a stay at your house. I'll have them all packed. Bring them back in a month and I'll make tea and you can tell me all about how horrible I am.

So, I analyzed Tater's tantrums. They pretty much include these elements:
  • say as many mean things as you can think off.
  • take whatever yucky feeling you have in your heart and spread it around on as many people as possible.
  • completely ignore other people's requests to modify the behavior.
  • in fact, use those requests as a trigger to escalate the behavior.
  • get completely absorbed in yucky feelings and try to make other people get involved in them.
  • be really mean and scream at other people when they come near.
  • ruin meals, mornings, outings, whatever, by acting out whenever the feeling strikes.
Well it just so happened that I had a whole boat-load of yucky feelings on hand.  So out-the-blue I just started being really mean.  Really mean.  Hard looks and hard voices and hard words.  I didn't say every mean thing I could think of, but I said mean things.  I made a point of making everyone around me miserable.  I shouted at Garbanzo when he solicitously asked me what was wrong.  I stomped around grumbling about how ill-treated I was and how unfair everything was. (Now I have done this before as role-plays and they knew I was role-playing and giggled. No giggling this time.)  When they crossed paths with me I groused louder and with a more ferocious looks and harsher words.

Basically I scared the socks off them.


And then I asked Tater if my behavior was appropriate.  No.
Was my behavior selfish? Yes.
I was having big yucky feelings and making sure that everyone else in the house felt as yucky as I did, was this okay? No.
I might feel this way 3-5 times a day and I was going to handle it this way each time. Please don't.
Why not? It's not right.

Yes, Tater, I agree. It's not right.  It's not right if I am 46 and it's not right if I am 9.

And then I went and apologized to Garbanzo.

I just asked her to write down what she learned this morning.  She wrote:

I lund that I should not have fits and if I bo then Mom will be lick me.
I learned that I should not have fits and if I do then Mom will be like me.

I thought it interesting how quickly she recognized who I was copying.

1 comment:

  1. I believe you did the right thing. You are a mother and each mother knows her child better than anyone elese.

    I can get mean to my child if he intentionally, on puprose crosses the red line. He knows he is loved, he is part of the family, that's why we expect him to behave as the civilized member of one...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much. I really appreciate comments.